This is a recipe from the category: Recipe for kids
Dear young chef,
You may or may not have heard of a man called Jamie Oliver. He is a hugely famous, super cool and very clever chef. Well, this man has started a revolution. A revolution is something that wants to change the world forever. The industrial revolution for example changed the world completely. Lots of machines that helped humans to do things and to make things that were not possible before were introduced.
The Food Revolution Jamie Oliver is starting now is about trying to change the world so that everybody has access to good quality food because:
- Too many people are not getting enough food
- Too many people are eating too much food
- Too many people are eating unhealthy diets
The Food Revolution is like a bag full of ideas of how to change this with the help of everybody who cares about food. And yes, I am one of them, I care enormously about good and healthy food. That is exactly why I am cooking omelettes today and I am sharing with you how I do it. That way you can learn it too and you can be just like me, another little part of this food revolution because you can learn to look after yourselves and everybody you love by learning to cook and eat well!
If you make a cheesy omelette and take a picture of it you can even participate in the Food Revolution International Omelette Challenge. If you win, your omelette may end up in one if is fantastic and professionally published cookbooks! You can find all the details about the Omelette Challenge right here.
Are you ready!? Are you convinced of the importance of this omelette??
Have you washed your hands? Is you apron in the right place? Here we go!
This is what you will need:
- 3 eggs
- some milk (mine was in the cow)
- some salt and pepper
- 50 grams of grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan for example)
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- some butter
- a frying pan of 24 cm (or 9 inch) at least
- a fork
- a knife
- a chopping board
- Break the eggs in a bowl and add a little bit of milk, just a dash is fine. Stir well.
- Add some salt and pepper, just a little bit
- Add the grated cheese to the bowl and stir again.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in two (or ask an adult to help you here). How many half cherry tomatoes will you get if you cut 3 tomatoes in half?
I have cut mine into 4 slices each, how many did I get? (I’ll give you a hint, the picture below might help you…)
- Take a large pan and put it on the stove, ask an adult to help you now to put it on a medium heat.
- Add some butter or oil, just enough to form a layer at the whole bottom of the pan when it melts, a teaspoon should do the job.
- Pour the egg mixture in the pan and let it cook until the bottom starts to become a bit firm.
- Now carefully place the tomatoes with the flat side on top of the omelette.
- Let it cook further on a medium heat until it has dried up on the top as well.
- Your cheesy omelette is now ready to serve!
- I cut mine into quarters (how many would that be?) and put one on a slice of bread. Because the tomatoes looked too much like eyes, I couldn’t resist making the piece of omelette looking like a face. I just added some spinach for hair, olives for the black bits in his eyes and some basil leaves for a moustache!
How will you be eating yours?? Whatever you do, enjoy your omelette!
If you want to learn more about the Food Revolution, have a look here.