This is a recipe from the category: Recipe for kids
Dear Young Chef,
You probably know hummus, don’t you? It is often served as a delicious dip for snack or as an appetiser. You can dip vegetable sticks in it or bread sticks or some toasted flat bread or pita bread. The main ingredient of hummus is chickpeas. Chickpeas is another name for the Garbanzo bean, which a bean just like broad beans, red kidney beans, cannelloni beans etc. If you would like to picture of how they grow, you can have a look here on Wikipedia. Beans are good for us in general and that is definitely the case for chickpeas, they are super healthy for you.
Now it turns out, hummus is also one of the Food Revolution recipes from Jamie Oliver. Maybe you remember from last time when I shared the recipe for the omelette with cherry tomatoes? The Food Revolution is about changing the world so that everybody gets access to good quality food. You, yes you! You are somebody who can help to achieve this. By learning to cook, you can learn to provide good food for yourself and you can go on and tell your friends about it so that they as well can learn about good quality and healthy food. Maybe you can make something yourself next time you have a friend for tea? Maybe you can do it together with your friend?
Are you ready to join the Food Revolution and change the world with all the other revolutionaries? Great, then read on and learn how you can make this delicious healthy snack yourself!
This is what you will need:
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- some pepper and salt to taste
- food processor
- a simple juice press
- a cauldron
- Carefully open the can of chickpeas and drain them in a cauldron.
- Press the lemon on the juicer, or if you haven’t got one, you can simply press it really hard with your hands and it catch the juice in a cup.
- Then measures tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of ground cumin. Add these with the drained chickpeas to the food processor.
- Belend really well and taste.
- Now you may want to add a little bit of salt and pepper, just a little bit is fine, then blend again briefly.
- Taste again with a clean spoon.
- Add a little bit more salt and pepper if you like, blend again and taste again (with a clean spoon, again!)
- Ready? Perfect!
- Now serve with some vegetable sticks: carrots, cucumber, pepper, celery, french beans or maybe some cherry tomatoes? Breadsticks and pita bread work great too.