Happy 2017! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and fantastic New year just like I did. We had a great time! I have very much enjoyed the way celebrating and travelling becomes easier when the children grow up. It was just relaxing and fun this year. I wasn’t the zombie that I have been in the previous years. Short and endlessly interrupted nights didn’t make me the best company in the festive season in the past few years I am afraid. But I am back now, all awake and clear in the head! The kids had a great time decorating their mini gingerbread houses on Christmas Eve!
Today though, is a different story: it is the first day of the end of the holidays for us. It was the first less relaxing breakfast in a while, yesterday I made pancakes still… This morning only, I realised we had run out of our oh so practical and yummy granola. It is my favourite breakfast when there is no time for anything else. So first thing after the school run, I quickly made us a new batch and took a few pictures so I could share it with you.
Making granola is so easy to make and quick to eat. It takes maximum 15 minutes to prepare it, 30 minutes in the oven and you are done. Simply have it with yoghurt and fruit in season and you are good to go. Remember the citrus fruit at the moment, they are in season and we absolutely need the vitamine C to fight those colds! Frozen berries also work really well if you have got some.
If your kids are not convinced yet, have patience. Mine aren’t totally keen yet either. They do like it on it’s own, they pick on it, especially when it comes straight out of the oven, but they won’t have a full bowl for breakfast. I think it is a start though, they may come round still if I keep offering it. It works well as topping for puddings and ice-creams as well.
Granola with cinnamon and dried apricots
- 300 grams of jumbo oats
- 150 grams of sunflower seeds
- 150 grams of pumpkin seeds
- 60 grams of flax seeds
- 100 grams of peanuts
- 100 grams of almonds
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp cobnut oil (or rapeseeds oil, a neutral olive oil, coconut oil)
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 180 grams of dried apricots
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees Celsius. (375 Fahrenheit)
- Crush the nuts roughly.
- Mix nuts with oats and all the seeds.
- Bring the honey, the oil and cinnamon in a cup and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well until the cinnamon is dissolved.
- Mix this runny mixture well under the oats with a wooden spoon.
- Line to baking trays with baking paper and divide the oat mixture over both trays.
- Bake the granola for 30 minutes, but give it a good stir after 10 minutes and after 20 minutes again.
- In the meantime cut the dried apricots in small pieces. If you have fairly sticky and wet apricots, you can further dry them out (after they have been cut up in the oven. Do this just after you have turned it off when the granola is ready, 15 minutes in the cooling dow oven will probably do the job.
from More Than Just Carrots