I made this quinoa salad for the Foodblog Swap of this month. Willeke Thierry of Mamma’tje Van Alles keeps a lifestyle blog about her life as a housewife. I love her list of all the professions a housewife fits in her career, it is pretty impressive!
I also liked her recipe of the white bean salad with mango. It is one of her budget friendly recipes. Apart from white beans and French beans, my kids aren’t too keen on beans, but they love mango, so I thought that would make an interesting combination, something they will madly devour with something more challenging. That totally fits my approach of give and take to keep learning-to-eat-new-things fun and positive.
Combining mango with quinoa is something I learned from Deliciously Ella, she has got an amazing recipe for a quinoa salad with mango. I have made that one over and over again, it is really delicious! So I added quinoa and also the chicken like quorn pieces to add some extra protein. It turned out to be a lovely easy, complete and filling salad that can be made in about 30 minutes.
Quinoa salad with mango and beans
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 2 adults and 3 kids||Total:|
- 150 grams of French beans
- 1 can of cannelloni beans
- 300 grams of quorn chicken pieces
- 150 grams of baby corn
- 1 big ripe mango
- 150 grams of quinoa
- 1/2 cube vegetable stock
- For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 3 tbsp fine rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Wash the french beans and cut of the ends, steam them during about 8 minutes or until cooked but still crispy.
- Wash and steam the baby corn (about 10 minutes).
- Rinse the quinoa and cook in a light vegetable bouillon (broth), follow instructions on the package for cooking time.
- Peel the mango and cut in cubes.
- When the French beans and baby corn are cooked, cut them in 2 or 3, so they are more or less at bitesize.
- Drain the white beans and rinse a little.
- Stir fry the quorn pieces in some oil and add some chicken spices (I use a mix that contains mainly paprika, curry and salt).
- When the quinoa is cooked add the vegetables and the quorn, leave the mango for last and add it as well to the salad.
- For the dressing, simply mix the ingredients. Pour it over the quinoa salad just before serving, or serve it separately for everyone to serve themselves with it.
from More Than Just Carrots
Because I write recipes for kids to enjoy, I like to add a reality check once in a while. How does this recipe work for my kids?
These pictures show what my two eldest served themselves with. Because they are not absolutely keen on quinoa, they preferred to serve themselves with the separate ingredients. I had foreseen this to happen, so I had made sure I had some of everything on the side. But funnily enough, they took a bit of everything, except for the white beans, there was a surprise… And yes, somebody found the mayonaise in the fridge…A third picture is missing, I only found mango and quorn in that plate, there is work to be done there!