Salads do not usually get a place in the top ten of children’s favourite foods, do they? I on the other hand, love salads and I am determined to make them more popular amongst my kids! I think salads are great, especially in summer. The best thing about them is that you can customise them and tweak them as much as you like. That is why I have started to try to make salads child friendly at home.
Last week we had the salad with beetroot and sweet potato where we even had some normal roasted potatoes in as well, just to make sure even the most picky eaters would be sure to fill up their tummies.
Last weekend I made this new salad with roasted chicken, tangerines and avocado, which was absolutely made with the kids in mind as well. They love tangerines and roasted chicken and I added lots of little crunchy things for their liking as well. My kids still don’t like advocate at all unfortunately. The only way they eat it at the moment is when I use avocado in our chocolate cream for pudding, in that case they don’t mind at all that I use avocados, the more the better because that means more chocolate pudding! Because I don’t toss the salad, they can easily miss the avocado when they pick out what they do like and that is ok. They don’t mind it that way. I am convinced that eventually the avocado will make it onto their plates as well. Coming across of it often enough and seeing us eating it, will eventually persuade them, I think. Maybe the first time it will happen by accident, who knows?
The chicken is roasted, simply because lately I don’t buy chicken fillets very often anymore. I tend to buy a whole chicken, roast it, eat part of it on the day and and have lots of left over of it in the fridge. The meat is so much softer than when I use fillets and it is ever so handy to have left overs in the fridge. I use it to add to another salad, or a pasta, it can go on a sandwich or in a pita bread and I often put some in little containers for packed lunches.
The sweet dressing of rapeseed oil, apple cider vinegar, honey and mustard gives a perfect finish to this child friendly salad and has got a wonderfully fresh summery feel to it. We were even so lucky we could eat it outside last weekend, it was just warm enough!
Salad with roasted chicken, tangerines and avocado
|Prep:||Yield: 2 adults and 3 kids|
- For the salad:
- 150 grams mixed lettuce
- 150 gram baby spinach
- 3 tangerines
- 1 big avocado
- 300 grams roasted chicken meat
- tbsp pumpkin seeds
- handful of croutons
- handful of cashew nuts
- For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tl English mustard
- Work in layers, starting with the mixed lettuce at the bottom and then the baby spinach on top.
- Cut the roasted chicken into pieces or pull the meat by hand and spread it on top of the spinach.
- Peel de tangerines and take most of the white bits of, arrange the segments onto the salad, for example in a cirkel.
- Scatter the nuts, the croutons and the pumpkin seeds over the salad.
- For the dressing, you just need to add all the ingredients together and mix really well. I usually use a little funnel and add all the ingredients straight into a glass bottle. I can shake it easily to mix it and what is left over can go in the fridge as I can close the bottle. You can also use a jar for the same purpose. The ingredients given are usually just enough for the salad for one meal, if you think you will need more or you want to make sure you have some to keep for the coming days, simply double the amounts in the list of ingredients.
from More Than Just Carrots