Old time favourite
This white celery with mixed minced meat in a cheese sauce is one of the recipes my mum used to make when I was a kid. It was a classic in our house on colder days. I absolutely loved it when she made and so did my brothers. The funny thing is that this is the only celery recipe that I liked as a child. When we had mussels there was always celery in, but I carefully left it with the onions…
I guess celery is not really one of those children’s favourite vegetables like carrots are for example. That is probably why I haven’t used much celery when cooking for my kids either. I do use it for my tomato ketchup and roasted tomato soup, maybe another kind of soup as well, but not much else really.
Growing from scraps
It is time I start preparing this lovely vegetable a bit more often. That is why I have started to get their interest into celery by growing a new plant out of the scraps of the last one I used. It has sprouted really well now on our kitchen sill and it has even made some roots now. We will leave it for a bit longer so the roots get stronger and then we will plant it in some soil.
The next step into the love of celery is this well tested recipe for white celery with mixed minced meat in a cheese sauce. It has proven it is a child friendly recipe for many years now, so that shouldn’t be too hard!
When I was a kid we usually had this recipe with mashed potatoes or plain boiled potatoes. I still like it with mash but I am sure it just as delicious with with a roasted potato like a jacket potato. Or you can have it with pasta as we did today. Even a good slice of firm homemade bread would do for me!
Maybe you have some brilliant kid friendly recipes with celery? Please let me know in the comments, I will need more than just this one to get them into it I believe!
White celery with minced beef in a cheese sauce
|Prep:||Cook:||Yield: 2 adults and 3 kids||Total:|
- 1 white celery
- the minced meat
- 150 grams of minced beef
- 150 grams of minced pork
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- the cheese sauce
- 25 grams of butter
- 25 grams of flour
- 500 ml of milk
- 100 grams of shredded matured cheddar
- Clean and cut the celery in small pieces.
- Steam the celery during 8 minutes.
- Fry the meat and season well with all the spices.
- For the cheese sauce: melt the butter in a sauce pan, add the flour and stir well, leave the mixture to warm up for a minute before you sart adding the milk whilst stirring really well with the whisker. Keep stirring while you bring the sauce to boil and let it thicken a bit.
- If the sauce is fairly thick add some of the water you steamed the celery with, then add the cheese to the sauce.
- Mix celery, minced meat and sauce and serve with your favourite kind of potatoes or with spaghetti.
from More Than Just Carrots